Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Stereotyped

Today in class we discussed an essay titled "Just Met a Girl Named Maria" by Judith Ortiz Cofer. She talked about how people often categorize her based on her appearance and choice of clothing rather than her as a person. I feel that stereotyping is not only a world problem but a habit. Most people find stereotypes hilarious without thinking whether it is offensive or not. I, myself, stereotype people such as assuming that the nail technician that does my nails is Chinese when she probably isn't. I also assume that her name is Ling or Ming based on stereotypical posts or sayings that I have read and heard. You may have seen television shows and social media use stereotypes as comedy. I know people may assume things about me and probably think that I'm just like every other African American. But, I don't drink Kool-aid nor do I always eat fried chicken. I'm not loud or ignorant, either. We all get offended by certain stereotypes yet we continuously stereotype others.

No comments:

Post a Comment