Wednesday, September 4, 2019

A Great Day

Today, the lesson was so interesting that time completely flew by. Class began with us reading a short story about a soldier named Tim. At the beginning of the story, Tim’s daughter questioned his reasoning for being obsessed with writing war stories. She then assumed that he write them because he killed someone during his time serving as a soldier. Not wanting to taint her impression of him, he told her that he hadn’t killed anyone. While reflecting on his lie, Tim pretends that his daughter is an adult and imagines that he is telling her the entire story of My Khe. Tim recounts the night of the ambush outside of My Khe. He describes the experience in full detail confessing that he indeed killed someone but regretted it immediately after because he felt that since the person he killed wasn't a real threat, he really didn't have to kill him. As a class, we discussed certain things in the story while we read. The teacher asked us is there such thing as a “good kill” and I told him “those two words don’t belong with each other. Killing will always be an inhuman thing to do- a bad thing to do, therefore there is not.” Sadly, I was wrong but I guess I understood why. If you’re killing to protect, I suppose that makes it a “good kill.” We continued to discuss the story and answered the questions that followed. Our next assignment was to get into groups and write what best characterize Tim and the next time around he told us to write the moral of the story. I felt that it was very ingenious of him to use our answers to help us with multiple choice. He broke it down so well that everything made sense and I felt as if I had just unlocked a secret that would be most useful for forthcoming tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment