Wednesday, January 8, 2020

What NOT To Do

Today was another exceptional and productive day even though I was exhausted. I felt the constant urge to close my eyes and take a well-deserved nap but I knew that I needed to stay attentive. Today's discussion was about what not to use when composing an argumentive essay or when having an argument. It is ideal to have a strong or somewhat strong argument than a weak one so the fallacies that we discussed should not be present within one's argument. We wrote the names of the flaws along with their definitions. I was appalled by the fact that there is such a thing. Usually, when I argue(with the intention of winning by any means) I don't think about the mistakes or the weak points in my argument. I just feel the need to get my point across. I would go into detail of what the names and definitions of the fallacies are but there are too many to talk about. However, there was one that I thought was interesting; I noticed the use of it in arguments that I have read. It is called Red Herring. The red herring is basically when someone is arguing about one thing and then throw in a side issue to distract the opposer or reader. An example would be when your mom notices that your room is untidy and you start telling her how stressful school was. You are basically distracting her from the real problem, your room. After we finished taking notes, we were told to identify what logical fallacy was being utilized in the examples given. At first, I couldn't seem to identify them correctly but I soon caught on. I hope that tomorrow will be just as good as today.

1 comment:

  1. Good Job! There's very simple things you need to include for a argumentive essay and I'm glad you were able to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete