Friday, December 13, 2019

WHAT DO YOU SEA?




Today, I was not present in class along with most of my classmates because we were on a field trip. The field trip was located at the Dolphin Island Sea Lab. It was all new to me because I had never been to the lab let alone do I remember going to Dolphin Island for any occasion. On arrival, it looked as if it were abandoned. We saw a big building that we hoped that we would be in but that was not the case. We were then split into 2 groups and was guided to a room with desks covered by deceased sea animals. Our speaker was very kind and humorous. He told jokes and made sea life appear to be similar to the life of humans although the two are different. I learned that sea cucumber can turn their bodies into liquid and that they are the coolest animals ever. I learned a lot more but I can't recall at the moment. After being told so many unbelievable things about the ocean and its creatures, we were taken to the lab to dissect squids. I for one hate all wet, squishy, unfamiliar things so I was not keen on touching the squid or any other animal that was in the lab. At the beginning of the dissection, we were told to lay the squid down and separate its tentacles and legs.  We slowly but surely made it to the part where there would be cutting. We took out the esophagus, the squid's mouth and then finally we cut open the part above the eyeballs. Surprisingly, I was the one doing the cutting and touching. I had to muster up enough courage to complete it so I was proud of myself. We then learned how to determine whether the squid we had was a female or a male. I was so happy that my partner and I received a male. We saw the 3 hearts and where the ink is located. At the end of the lab, we were allowed to use the ink and write our names with it. I enjoyed the new experience even though I was petrified.

No comments:

Post a Comment